Logo

History

Bethel traces its roots to people of various denominational backgrounds from the Buckingham neighborhood. The church was organized in 1941 as the founders gathered at Barrett Elementary School, singing “Blest Be the Tie That Binds.” Bethel moved to its current location in the mid-1940’s and grew to become a vital force in the Buckingham neighborhood of Arlington. More and more, Bethel reflects the current diversity of the surrounding area.  A spirit of community is one of the hallmarks of the congregation.  Bethel is part of the United Church of Christ (UCC), which was founded in 1957 with the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Church. For more information about the UCC, visit www.ucc.org.